Dangers Of Wearing Lenses For Too Long..
A student in Taiwan who left contact lenses in her eyes for six months straight developed a rare and serious eye infection that ultimately took her vision, according to a news report.
A single-celled organism called an amoeba was able to infect the outer covering of the woman’s eye because she did not remove and clean the lenses at all during this time.
The condition is known as Acanthamoeba keratitis, and is most common among people who wear contact lenses.
Symptoms from the infection including eye pain, redness and blurred vision that can last for weeks or months, and can cause vision loss or blindness if left untreated.
Leaving contact lenses in the eyes for too long increases the risk of eye infections. The contact lens prevents the cornea from getting enough oxygen.
The cornea is a living, breathing organ, and it needs oxygen. Without adequate oxygen, the cells of the cornea can break down, essentially removing the eye’s barrier to infection. Sleeping with contact lenses is not recommended.